Whether you are a beginner or a veteran in the app business you should understand and value the benefits of App Search Optimization.
One benefit of App Search Optimization is that most organic downloads come from the App Store and Google Play searches. More than 65% to be exact, also, the organic downloads are free and the more people that download your app organically the better it will rank. Take note of keywords used in the descriptions in order to maximize downloads.
How to – App Search Optimization
There a number of informative articles based on App Search Optimization that can be found online. Considering I own 10 apps and have worked in the App business for 4+ years, I want to share the knowledge I have gained that has been tried and tested
1. England (U.K.) affects all 147 stores except the United States and Canada. This is intended for the App Store and iOS apps. So, when you write a description or title, write it in English (UK) and English (US). Also remember to localize your app and translate it in as many languages as possible. The aim is to increase your apps popularity both in the UK & USA but to a broader more international marketplace as well.
2. Besides Mexico, Spanish (Mexico) language now also affects the United States app market. Until March 2016, there was only Spanish (Spain) to use for the title and description – IOS
3. Google Play now allows you to include emojis in App Title. This makes your app much more visually appealing to the potential users – Example. iOS still doesn’t support this though. – Google Play
1. Keywords in the title are significantly more important than the keywords used in the keyword field of your developers console. Aim for easy, logical wording consisting of 10-12 words. Don’t just throw random words in the title. Also, note that short titles for non-branded apps represents a serious waste of opportunity. Always use as many keywords as possible in the title. This point is intended for iOS users, as Google Play now limits the title to only 30 characters and has totally different ranking algorithm than iOS.
2. Reviews Reviews Reviews! Do more reviews mean a better ranking? The answer is yes! Reviews are crucial for two reasons: boosting your app’s keywords and people are more likely to download apps with more reviews. So, try to get as many reviews as possible! Integrating a link in your app prompting users to leave a review is a must!- Google Play and IOS.
3. My next secret is based on the importance of spelling. Surprisingly enough 50% of search google search queries are misspelled. We all noticed this and we have all done it. More details can be found in an article written by the head of search and discovery for Google Play Ankit Jain. He revealed 2 years ago in this article, so you can start look after popular misspelled keywords and phrases and add them into your description – Google Play
4. Keep it simple and reduce the size of the apps. Small sized apps make more installs and in IOS, the apps that are more than 100mb can’t be downloaded via 3G and can only be downloaded via Wi-Fi. So yes, size matters. Try to make it lighter, but don’t reduce its features on Google Play and IOS.
5. Release the app on Google Play before iOS. Google Play allows you to test the icon and screenshots in order to give you the most accurate preview possible before being published on IOS. Google has amazing tools for testing that goes under the name “Experiments” – Google Play and IOS
1. If you’ve done everything by the rules and the organic traffic is still not coming in, you need to try incentivized traffic to boost your ASO and keyword ranking. Below I’ve showed you an example of how it looks. You can use SuperSonic Ads which are very simple to Integrate and if you have some tracker like Appflyer you may not need to integrate it at all. Incentivized installs are not expensive. The prices go from $0.10 worldwide and you can seriously boost your apps traffic. This link will give you $120 extra for your first $100 – Link Google Play and IOS
1. In conclusion let’s recap the most important factors to consider in ASO.
iOS: Title, Keywords, Developer Name, IAP Titles Rank in search. However, the description is not ranked. Google Play: Title, Short Description, Long Description, review, contact and basically synchronization of all pages is important. Also, google play apps can be boosted by link building, like website articles, social signals like google + and facebook shares, twitter tweets etc.
I have implemented all of these secrets on my recently launched apps that are available for both iOS and Android. I’m experiencing great results using these techniques and the years of experience I gained have proved to be beneficial. App Search Optimization is a necessity. Be patient, take your time and be vigilant but also remember you need unique, optimized, easy to read and interesting description and titles, you need to use the proper keywords and phrases so they can rank better and be visible. If you are new to these techniques, I recommend finding the right writer and ASO service company to assist you. If you however don’t have the budget, you can do it yourself, following these and several other relevant articles that are available online for free.
If you would like to learn more on ASO and different app marketing techniques, check out my website: asktolik.com.
Cheers and happy optimization!
About Author: Anatoli Eidelman
Hi there! My Name is Tolik , Owner of ASO and Reskinning Company AskTolik , ASO expert and consultant with 2,5 years of extensive experience in the niche (1000+ apps).